Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Not so Traditional December

This Christmas will be different. It has made me realize more about myself. Why do I value traditions, especially when it comes to my children?
Being an mk I've learned to be flexible, to take change as it comes and although there is much adventure and sometimes fun, it does get old. You long for stability and a sense of normal that tradition brings.
 The traditions that surround Christmas are etched in my mind. Even though we could not celebrate every year with Grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins, we knew they were still getting together. They were having crown loaf, they were exchanging gifts, they were getting live trees and decorating them, our stockings were still hanging on the mantel, they were enjoying some of grandma's chocolates.
This year we will celebrate Christmas by the ocean with my family. In some ways it will hold tradition, from years in Brazil and spending time on the beach during holidays. For my kids it hold adventure and new memories made with their cousins....and thats ok. We will still be together with ones that we love. We will still read the most important story of all. Jesus, he is the reason we celebrate.

No comments: